Submissions are hereby invited for - The Digest of South African Architecture | Vol 23 : 2018
The Digest of S A Architecture is an annual publication whose mandate from SAIA is to catalogue and publish a record of work produced by the profession on an annual basis. Intended to reflect upon recent design and production and expose the evolving situation in South Africa, its aim is to include as many submissions as possible. In addition, a number of invited articles, from selected contributors, compliment the variety of building types that represent members' best work. Any excellent project, in South Africa or elsewhere, completed between May 2017 and June 2018, regardless of theme or category, will be considered for inclusion, provided the client approves.
Please submit your entries as soon as possible. [DUE ON or BEFORE THUR 28 JUNE 2018]
EACH SUBMISSION SHOULD COMPRISE OF THE FOLLOWING, AND PREFERABLY NO LARGER THAN A4:
- Text to be minimum 350 words, and maximum 450 words.
Please write objectively, in a coherent and accessible manner for a broad audience. [Avoid jargon, the poor re-use of existing or old texts and avoid point or bullet form as text.]
- Text must clearly communicate the spatial idea | design intention of the architect in relation to siting and programming, and could include information about the brief, constraints and context, concept, choice of materials and construction techniques, and, where applicable their relevance to contemporary issues.
- Provide text on CD or memory stick in MS word or rich text format .rtf (no emails), accompanied by a hard copy.
- A minimum of 25 well composed high resolution colour digital images, presenting the project in its entirety, including a range of conditions from urban scale and context and site, through plan to detail etc. [no google images please]
- Digital images can be supplied as .jpg/.tif/.eps files.
- Please ensure digital images supplied are high resolution. Low resolution images can only be reproduced very small, and this compromises the layout and presentation of a project.
- Ensure camera resolution is at its highest setting [resolution = superfine. file size = large].
- When saving .jpg's the quality must be at maximum with no compression.
- Please supply each image as a separate .jpg/.tiff and submit on CD or memory stick AS WELL AS hard copy print PLEASE DO NOT submit multiple images compiled into a pdf or word doc.
- Hardcopy originals such as slides or photographs must be of high [publishable] quality.
- All images to be fully identified and captions to be provided [project, practice and client].
PLEASE DO NOT apply sticker labels to CD's as they can damage the CD drive.
- A selection of black line presentation drawings, including:
- locality plans
- urban context / site plan
- plans, sections, elevations
- details, references and conceptual sketches [if relevant].
PLEASE REMOVE: all grid / construction lines / especially CAD grids
- Drawings to be supplied separately as .pdf's
PLEASE DO NOT: supply .pdf's compiled as multiples on a single page
- Drawings [and text labels] to be capable of being legible at 1: 400 scale
- All legends and drawing labels are kept consistent throughout the publication, so please supply legends as separate word documents, and position labels on the drawing sheet in a way that is easy to crop off.
- All drawings to be fully identified and captions to be provided where applicable. If possible, include project name and drawing label in file names [eg. 1st fl plan.pdf / section aa.pdf etc.]
- PLEASE DO NOT: supply any .dwg files [CAD] or .cdr files as these cannot be opened.
CONSTRUCTION / CAD WORKING DRAWINGS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE
- Original Submission Form, fully completed, including client's and photographer's approval signature together with your SAIA registration number.
- Project Team Details including the names of the professional / development team. This form must be submitted both as a hard copy and a word document so that we can import the information directly, thus ensuring all information is transcribed correctly. Professional photographers will be acknowledged, however, their permission to publish is required. Please ensure that any collaborations and joint ventures are properly acknowledged.
5. LATE OR INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS MAY BE EXCLUDED AND / OR INCUR A PENALTY
Failure to comply with the above will compromise the selection of your project. Each year we have to spend additional time following up on members whose work is selected, BUT, whose submission[s] fails to meet the submission criteria.
A fee of R500.00 will be charged for late submissions & R250.00 for updates of incomplete submissions.
6. THE DIGEST OF SA ARCHITECTURE IS PUBLISHED BY PICASSO HEADLINE AND ENDORSED BY THE SAIA.
All work is accepted at the risk of the submitter and with no guarantee to publish. No correspondence will be entered into.
Kindly submit to: Digest of S A Architecture VOL 23 - 2018 Cape Institute for Architecture [CIfA]
P O Box 3952 Cape Town 8000 | 71 Hout St, Cape Town 8001 * T (021) 424 7128 | F (021) 424 3620